Information & service
Based on a decision made by the Berlin Senate to curb coronavirus infection rates, the PalaisPopulaire, LePopulaire, and the shop will remain closed from November 2 to 30, 2020.
We ask you to note the following before taking in the exhibition:
- The generally applicable distance and hygiene rules apply throughout the building and in the exhibition rooms.
- It is mandatory to wear a mouth and nose mask.
- The PalaisPopulaire is making every effort to ensure that visitors can enter as smoothly as possible, but asks for your understanding in case there are waiting times.
- Cloakrooms are only available to a limited extent. It is forbidden to carry larger objects in the exhibition rooms.
- A maximum of 50 people are allowed to be in the exhibition rooms at the same time. We therefore recommend that you book tickets for a specific time slot in advance and free of charge at the ticket shop. You are also welcome to visit the exhibitions spontaneously. Please be prepared for the possibility of a short waiting time.
- Please stay at home if you show signs of illness or respiratory symptoms. If you had close contact with a sick person within the last two weeks, you should stay at home.
Find out more about certifications on Reisen für Alle (only available in German).
For visitors with restricted mobility and visitors with strollers the PalaisPopulaire can be accessed via a ramp at the main entrance on Bebelplatz. All exhibition rooms are stepless or can be reached by elevator. There is a wheelchair-accessible lavatory on the ground floor.
For security reasons, we reserve the right to regulate access to the exhibition rooms of people with strollers (e.g. when there is a large number of visitors). There is a space where you can store a stroller.
The nearest barrier-free U-Bahn, S-Bahn, and regional train station is Friedrichstrasse (U6, S1, S2, S3, S5, S7, S9, S25, S26, RE1, RE2, RE7, RB14, RB21, RB22), approx. 1.2 km away. Find more information here.
To make it easier for visitors with disabilities to get to the PalaisPopulaire, we recommend using the free VBB (the Berlin and Brandenburg transportation agency) bus and train escort services. You can find booking details and more information here.
You can find out more about our barrier-free offers here.
Parking near the PalaisPopulaire (approx. 400 m)
For persons with reduced mobility there is the possibility to park in the "Staatsoper" parking garage at Bebelplatz in reserved places.
At the PalaisPopulaire
All exhibition rooms can be reached by elevator or without steps. The ground floor and basement each have a WC suitable for wheelchairs.
The museum area extends over 4 floors and has an elevator. All exhibition rooms are stepless.
It is possible to take a guide dog with you. For blind and visually impaired visitors, a tactile floor plan, tactile images of individual exhibits, the exhibition flyer, and a restaurant menu in Braille are available for your visit at the museum counter. If you need help, please contact the museum counter.
Access to the PalaisPopulaire
Main entrance via the terrace
- Stone staircase 5 steps with railing
- 3 steps to the entrance without railing
- Door at entrance opens automatically inwards, 2-leaf, 1.30 m wide
Main entrance via ramp
- The PalaisPopulaire is accessible to disabled visitors with pushchairs or wheelchairs via a ramp at the main entrance on Bebelplatz
- Ramp runs 22 m along the terrace. Incline 6%, width 1.20 m
- Ramp at the entrance is 5.75 m long with an incline of 6.5%.
- Door opens automatically inwards, 1-leaf, width 1.30 m
Access to the exhibition rooms
- Door for exhibition opens automatically to the outside, 2-leaf, width 1.55
- Showroom doors open automatically, 1 sliding door, width 1.30 m
- Floor space 1.40 x 2.40 m
- Door width 1.13 m
- Elevator door height 2.20 m
Barrier-free sanitary facilities (gender-neutral)
- Bottom floor via elevator, 2 doors (not automatic) open inwards (1st door) and outwards (2nd door): width 1.13 m, movement area 2.32 x 3.96 m, moving right and left of WC, handles left and right foldable, height of WC seat 48 cm, emergency call available
- Ground floor right of entrance: door opens to the outside, width 1.13 m, movement area 2.00 x 2.71 m, moving right and left of WC, handles can be folded left and right, height of WC seat 48 cm, emergency calls available
For safety reasons, we reserve the right to regulate access to exhibition rooms with baby carriages if necessary (e.g. in the event of a large number of visitors). Parking spaces are available for baby carriages.